This week we are concentrating on explaining terms or jargon beginning with ‘B’ used in the area of sewage or wastewater treatment. The terms are; Balance Tank, Biofilm, Biozone, Blivet, BMS & BOD/Biochemical Oxygen Demand.
8. BALANCE TANK: A tank placed before a BMS BLIVET installation when most of the SEWAGE flow comes over a few hours per day, such as often seen in a hotel. It is designed to even out these flow peaks and pump to the Blivet in regular smaller amounts. This is normally achieved by pumps in the tank activated by a pre-set timer.
9. BIOFILM: A layer of micro-organisms and their products attached to a surface e.g. The BMS AEROTOR. A maximum surface biofilm is often quoted as a requirement in specification’s for RBC systems as only the biofilm on the outside of the RBC is active. Excess biofilm can put excess load strain on the shaft. The Aerotor does not suffer from this problem as a rotates at a faster speed than traditional RBC’s meaning that all excess surface biomass is shed during operation and on start up after shut down.
10. BIOZONE: The AEROBIC Stage of a Treatment System usually between Primary Settlement and Final Settlement. In the case of the BMS BLIVET System it is the GRP tank and rotors i.e. AEROTOR.
11. BLIVET: BMS Trade Mark for the BMS “all in one” PACKAGE SEWAGE TREATMENT SYSTEM incorporating the AEROTOR with PRIMARY SETTLEMENT, FINAL SETTLEMENT and SLUDGE Storage.
12. BMS: Acronym for Butler Manufacturing Services.
13. BOD/BIOCHEMICAL OXYGEN DEMAND (BOD/BOD5): The amount of dissolved oxygen consumed by microbiological action under AEROBIC conditions. A sample is incubated, usually for 5 days at 20˚C (thus BOD5in mg/l). It is used to measure the pollution potential of SEWAGE.
More detailed explanations of parameters used to measure final effluent quality can be found by clicking on the links e.g. BOD, SS, NH4, N, COD & P.
The next article will explain terms/jargon used in sewage treatment from C to E; Clarifier to Eutrophication.
If you have any questions of would like information on package wastewater treatment products, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Tommy butler BMS
A bit about the company:
Butler Manufacturing Services is a family owned specialist manufacturer of package (all in one) products for sewage treatment and surface water treatment established in 1986 with exports to 38+ countries worldwide including the world leading Blivet package sewage treatment plant, a ‘one stop shop’ for all surface water products from design to installation including attenuation, interceptors, holding tanks (incl. chemical resistant), hydrobrakes, rainwater harvesting tanks/filters & vortex silt separators, chlorine contact tanks, fully fitted pumps and sumps and much more.
If there is a requirement for any of above on any project that you are working on we would welcome the opportunity to work on a solution with you.
© Butler Manufacturing Services 2013.