We are back with Week 4 of our series explaining terms/jargon/terminology used in the area of sewage or wastewater treatment. This week we review terminology beginning with ‘C-E’. The terms are; Ferric Sulphate (FeSO4), Final Effluent, Final Settlement Tank, Foul Sewage, Humus Tank, Influent & Kjeldahl Nitrogen.
22. FERRIC SULPHATE (FeSO4): A chemical that is dosed into SEWAGE Treatment Plants to reduce PHOSPHORUS levels.
23. FINAL EFFLUENT: The effluent discharged from a SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT after all treatment has occurred.
24. FINAL SETTLEMENT TANK: See HUMUS TANK
25. FOUL SEWAGE: Untreated SEWAGE.
26. HUMUS TANK: A tank in which Humus (or settleable solids) is separated from the effluent flowing through it, which comes from the AEROBIC or BIOZONE stage of a Treatment System. AKA; SECONDARY SETTLMENT, FINAL SETTLEMENT OR CLARIFIER.
27. INFLUENT: Sometimes used to describe the effluent entering a SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT i.e. RAW SEWAGE.
28. KJELDAHL NITROGEN: It is the total of organic and AMMONIA NITROGEN.
More detailed explanations of parameters used to measure final effluent quality can be found by clicking on the links e.g. BOD, SS, NH4, N, COD & P.
The next article will explain terms/jargon used in sewage treatment from N to P; Nitrate to Primary Settlement Tank.
If you have any questions of would like information on package wastewater treatment products, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Tommy butler BMS
A bit about the company:
Butler Manufacturing Services is a family owned specialist manufacturer of package (all in one) products for sewage treatment and surface water treatment established in 1986 with exports to 38+ countries worldwide including the world leading Blivet package sewage treatment plant, a ‘one stop shop’ for all surface water products from design to installation including attenuation, interceptors, holding tanks (incl. chemical resistant), hydrobrakes, rainwater harvesting tanks/filters & vortex silt separators, chlorine contact tanks, fully fitted pumps and sumps and much more.
If there is a requirement for any of above on any project that you are working on we would welcome the opportunity to work on a solution with you.
© Butler Manufacturing Services 2013.