BMS series explaining terms/jargon/terminology used in the area of sewage or wastewater treatment continues with terms from R-S. The terms are; Raw Sewage, Rotating Biological Contactor (RBC), Sand Filter, Saran Filter, Separate Settlement Tanks, Separate System, Septic Tank, Sewage, Sewage Treatment Plant/System.
38. RAW SEWAGE: See FOUL SEWAGE.
39. ROTATING BIOLOGICAL CONTACTOR (RBC): A type of SEWAGE treatment in which settled sewage is passed through a trough containing a rotating media. This media provides a surface area on which a Biological Film or BIOMASS forms which then oxidises the pollutants on contact with the settled sewage and oxygen (air). The BMS AEROTOR is a next generation RBC which enhances this process by actively aerating the passing Settled sewage and thereby enhancing the AEROBIC Process. AKA; Rotary Biological Contactor.
40. SAND FILTER: A TERTIARY TREATMENT System using stone based media to polish FINAL EFFLUENT before discharge e.g. The BMS PACKAGE SANDFILTER.
41. SARAN FILTER: A TERTIARY TREATMENT System incorporated in the HUMUS TANK of a BLIVET, consisting of a membrane with 783 micron pore size for SUSPENDED SOLIDS reduction.
42. SECONDARY SETTLEMENT TANK: See HUMUS TANK.
43. SEPARATE SYSTEM: A SEWERAGE system in which FOUL and SURFACE WATERS are conveyed by separate sewers i.e. the opposite to a COMBINED SYSTEM.
44. SEPTIC TANK: A type of settlement tank in which the SLUDGE is retained for sufficient time for the organic matter to undergo ANAEROBIC Decomposition. Also, in effect, a PRIMARY SETTLEMENT TANK with SLUDGE Storage.
45. SEWAGE: The water borne wastes of a community, premises or process etc.
46. SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT/SYSTEM; A system used to treat raw SEWAGE to a standard suitable for discharge, usually including primary/final settlement and aerobic treatment. AKA; WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT/SYSTEM OR EFFLUENT TREATMENT PLANT/SYSTEM.
The next article will be the last in our series and will explain terms/jargon used in sewage treatment from S to W; Sludge to Whole Life Cost.
Tommy butler BMS
A bit about the company;
Butler Manufacturing Services is a family owned specialist manufacturer of package (all in one) products for sewage treatment and surface water treatment established in 1986 with exports to 38+ countries worldwide including the world leading Blivet package sewage treatment plant, a ‘one stop shop’ for all surface water products from design to installation including attenuation, interceptors, holding tanks (incl. chemical resistant), hydrobrakes, rainwater harvesting tanks/filters & vortex silt separators, chlorine contact tanks, fully fitted pumps and sumps and much more.